Re: SQL standard

From: Someone <abc_at_def.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:25:38 -0400

Sybrand Bakker suggested that:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:14:27 +0200, "Randi W" <randiwolner_at_hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>In my application I am trying to use only SQLs that can be run on 'any'
>>database.

> This approach is not going to work ever, due to different database
> architectures.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

In practice as Sybrand suggests you write SQL specific for each database vendor's database and version (platform) directly in your application. Sometimes with very basic DML and queries you get away with writing one flavour of SQL the can be run against some and perhaps all of your supported database platforms. Mostly however your SQL differs as it has in it vendor specific dialect and techniques. The other reasons you might write a specific SQL for each platform are differing database functionality, speed issues and database limitations.

Good luck! Received on Wed Oct 06 2004 - 13:25:38 CDT