Re: Can I create a database via oracle client?

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:28:58 +0200

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:32:20 +1000, "Snewber" <s_at_s.com> wrote:

>Hi Goran,
>
>this is what I suspected as well as the CREATE DATABASE command is still
>only SQL and thus can be run just like any other SQL, remotely or locally,
>if you have the correct privileges.
>
>Thanks for checking it and giving the correct answer to the original
>question.

Actually I don't think Goran's answer is correct, he cheats. Nor is it smart to do it.
Goran's answer isn't correct, because it doesn't apply to windows. On Windows you would need to create an instance, using oradim, prior to creating a database. You simply can't run oradim locally. To create a database you would need to have SYSDBA privilege. To get SYSDBA privilege you need to have a password file, to have a password file you need to run orapwd on the server. *YOU NEED TO HAVE FULL ACCESS TO THAT SERVER ANYWAY!!* The OP thought it was possible to create a database *WITHOUT* access to that server. That simply isn't true! And it is stupid to even want to capable to create a database remotely, this would be *A SEVERE SECURITY BREACH*

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA