Re: Question on re-organising Tables

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:45:36 +1000

John Wood wrote:

> We have Oracle 9i on Win2K environment. We have created some very big
> tables in a user tablespace. As now we found the tables are not used
> much.
> It contains much less data. I would like to rebuild the table using
> Exp/Imp. But when I export the tables, the export file would contain a
> statement to create the table with big initial extent.
>
> If I export the tables with COMPRESS=N, then I think I can prevent the
> tables from creating with large initial extent. I have enabled the Local
> Managed Tablespace. The question is: Is it okay to do so as the Local
> Managed Tablespace would allocate 64K at a time ? The tables would
> probably
> involve about 200M to 500M of data. Will there be any performance issue ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> JW.

Visit www.dizwell.com and read up on whether the number of extents is an issue.

Short answer: 500M in 64K extents would equate to about 8000 extents (unless my maths is completely hopeless, which it could well be). That is bordering on the absurd, but is do-able in LMT. But I wouldn't do it, and would be thinking of 1M or 8M extents.

Just because it's LMT, doesn't mean you have to abandon all control, you know. You still can actually do some administering of these sorts of things.

HJR Received on Tue Oct 05 2004 - 23:45:36 CDT