Re: Oracle 10g RAC Question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:00:37 +1000

Joel Garry wrote:

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message

>> I agree. So let's not use the word "node" when we mean "instance".
>> Because otherwise, the confusion level rises.

> So what the heck is an instance? I'm looking at OEM10g ASC and I see
> two "standalone instances..." neither of which has anything to do with
> RAC or a database.

I might be missing your point, Joel. But an instance remains what it has always been: a memory structure, plus background processes, which access and manage an Oracle database.

Whether an instance does that on its own, or in co-operative joint venture with other instances, makes no difference to that definition. I think.

I see no problem with the phrase "standalone instance". It means its accessing and managing a database on its lonesome. A fair enough contrast with the phrase, "a rac instance" or even a 'clustered instance', since that indicates the instance is accessing and managing a database in combination with others.

Of course an instance has nothing to do with a database, since otherwise there would not be a startup nomount command.

So what was the point I was missing here?

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Oct 05 2004 - 17:00:37 CDT