How to use LDAP PAM-modules for external authentication?

From: Jeroen van den Broek <Jeroen.vandenBroek_at_AtosOrigin.com>
Date: 5 Oct 2004 04:49:37 -0700

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding external security/authentication. Currently, one of our customers has an application on HPUX that connects to an Oracle DB (8.1.7) on OS/390. Application users are defined as 'IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY' which means that via an Oracle-supplied exitroutine the password is authenticated in RACF
(OS/390 security package).

We are investigating the possibility of moving this database to zLinux
(SUSE-SLES8 running under zVM on the mainframe), with Oracle 9.2.0.5.

The customer is only willing to go this route, if the password authentication still will be done by RACF. Our idea is to do this via OpenLDAP that comes with SUSE Linux. What we want to know is whether this is possible with Oracle, and if so how we should configure this to get it working? Can Oracle make use of OpenLDAP's PAM's (Pluggable Authentication Modules) and which one(s) should we use?
Note: the application will stay on HPUX.

Jeroen. Received on Tue Oct 05 2004 - 06:49:37 CDT