Re: Deleting old archivelog files in Windows 2000

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 13:52:04 +1000

Rozz Williams wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way in windoze 2000 to delete old archive log files older
> than x many days without installing a third party software like I did
> with Windoze NT?
>
> Thanks in advance

Yes: it's called RMAN.

But if you are determined not to use RMAN, then you may find the backup script I have on my website of use (www.dizwell.com). It is a Windows Scripting Host file (not VB), which I see another poster has already pointed you at. Look for the DBA Tips, Backups, Scripted Backups article.

The script has a section within it called "Sub BkpArchives" you might find interesting/of some use. It queries the database to find out which archives exist (and you could modify that query so that it includes a 'date older than' test). It then copies those archives somewhere else (hence backing them up, which you don't say you want to do, but you could just delete that bit of the procedure). And then (the bit you're really interested in), it deletes the originals.

My Windows Scripting skills are not particularly brilliant, but there should be enough there to give you some ideas at least.

But the real answer remains: use RMAN.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 22:52:04 CDT