Re: How to perform a health check?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 4 Oct 2004 20:42:00 -0700

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0410041034.2dac8bc1_at_posting.google.com>...

> But it's a moving target. I wouldn't want to be held to what IBM
> thought 20 years ago what a DBA should be, nor to writing T-SQL stored
> procedures all day.

You'd be surprised how similar it would be to what Oracle proposes now!
Same old same old: check space, check errors, check security, manage ids and authorisations, tune performance. The difference is that IBM provided the tools to do all that. Oracle provides OEM...

It's a maker proposing a definition. Flawed and biased, of necessity.

> > > If I wanted another "defacto standard", I'd stay with
> > > M$ and not bother about Oracle.
>
> See above!

Exactly. Proprietary definitions.

> Now that you mention it, it is pretty condescending.. :)

So is OEM... Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 22:42:00 CDT