Re: Useable RMAN Backups using standby databases OS COPY. ( Ora8i )

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 4 Oct 2004 13:56:40 -0700

acpanugayan_at_gmail.com (Alvin Panugayan) wrote in message news:<a60e8863.0410040017.24b6cd7a_at_posting.google.com>...
> Is it possible for me to make datafile copies from my standby
> databases instead of the production db ?
>
> What are the steps in doing so.. do i
>
> => Method A
> 1. stop the archiving mode of my standby db via 'recover managed
> standby database cancel;'
> 2. Take OS level copy
> 3. register the OS copy to Rman
> 4. continue applying the archive redo logs via 'recover managed
> standby database;'
>
> or
>
> => Method B
> 1. Shutdown the standby DB
> 2. take OS copy
> 3. Register in RMAN
> 4. startup the standby db and continue applying the changes.
>
> Which method will give me useable datafile copies ?

Method A will, but listen to Sybrand. Both methods will probably give ORA-1666 when you try to start up the copy, so you would have to play games and act as if you have lost all control files and recreate them.  If you are asking if RMAN will be able to automatically start up a restoration of these copies, I would guess it would be confused by the controlfiles.

> Are the above methods viable or possible at all ?

Possible, not viable. Depending on your definition of "useable."

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=233425.1

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=FOR&p_id=618132.995

If you are O8 or early O9, the shutdowns could affect your production db. In fact, managed recovery can affect your production db just from a network transient.

See the Oracle white paper about graceful switchback by Lawrence To, if you can find it.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.ntgi.net/ntg/mall/internet.htm