Re: Oracle 10g - Diminishing DBA roles ...

From: Ess Wiego <swiego_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 4 Oct 2004 12:29:28 -0700

I hope so. I consider the DBA position to be one of the most difficult positions in IT. A top-notch DBA must understand the underlying hardware, and be at least conversant in every development language or platform that is hitting his or her database. He/she must have a good grasp of networking fundamentals, and be able to interrelate data/database architecture with business targets. In short, a top-notch DBA really is a top-notch IT technologist, and thus is capable of not just "database administration" but technology leadership.

I look to my DBAs to evaluate and specify platforms, assess and evangelize new development technologies, train and develop other IT staff, and help set our company's future technology direction. I do so because I know that our developers, sysadmins, project managers, IT analysts, etc., do not see the "big picture" as our DBAs do. I also am aware that our DBAs don't have time to do any of this, because they're so busy solving mundane performance, authentication, storage, availability, and data movement challenges that they don't have time to focus on the big picture as much as they could.

Any RDBMS that reduces the labor required to support databases/applications/other staff = more time to focus on the big picture.