Re: Add database to existing oracle database

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:36:29 -0500

sonika_sehrawat_at_yahoo.com (sonika) wrote:

>Thanks jim and Daniel,
>
>I'll definitly join some classes, but pls. help me right now..i don't
>know much about oracle, i just started with this project and i
>migrated around 30 tables from ms-access to oracle.And now i need to
>move this schema or tables from my machine to main server.Pls. suggest
>me something..i'll really appreciate your help.
>
>Thanks,
>Sonika
>
>Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1096519118.294868_at_yasure>...
>> sonika wrote:
>>
>> > Hi experts,
>> >
>> > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i
>> > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to
>> > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main
>> > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this
>> > database from my machine to main server.
>> > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility
>> > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is
>> > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps.
>> >
>> > I'll really appreciate your kind help.
>> > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!!
>> >
>> > Thanks..so much
>> > Sonika
>>
>> The concept of a database in MS Access has no relationship to the
>> concept of a database in Oracle. As Jim suggests ... you need to
>> read the concepts manual and understand how Oracle works.
>>
>> I strongly urge you to sign up for a class.

Ask the Oracle DBA of the main server's instance( I imagine it is not you) to handle the Export from your instance and the Import into the main server's instance...It is not something that an inexperienced user should do without understanding the basic concepts and the possible ramifications to the existing data in that instance, especially since you will be going from a higher version to a lower one ( lots of complications can arise)

Sorry, but Oracle is so different from Access that essentially nothing you learned about Access will apply to Oracle. Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 13:36:29 CDT