Re: optimize this!

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:43:46 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1096865277.974633_at_yasure...
> FC wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to optimize the following sql statement (oracle 10g) but I
can't
> > get anything better than an index range scan.
> >
> > select distinct to_char(shopping_date,'MONTH/YYYY') d,
> > trunc(shopping_date,'MM') r
> > from bills
> > where owner_id = 25
> > order by 2 desc
> >
> > (null) SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=ALL_ROWS (Cost=3 Card=39
Bytes=390)
> > (null)
> > 1 0 _SORT (ORDER BY) (Cost=3 Card=39 Bytes=390) (null)
> > 2 1 _SORT (UNIQUE) (Cost=2 Card=39 Bytes=390) (null)
> > 3 2 _INDEX (RANGE SCAN) Of BILLS_IDX2 (INDEX) (Cost=1 Card=45
> > Bytes=450) (null)
> >

> > Table bills comes with the following indexes (table and indexes have
been
> > analyzed beforehand)
> >
> > 1) a primary key index on column id which is not part of this query.
> > 2) a btree index on columns owner_id and id (used by other queries)
> > 3) a btree index on columns owner_id and shopping_date (this one is
actually
> > picked by the optimizer)
> > 4) a function index on owner_id, to_char(shopping_date,'MONTH/YYYY'),
> > trunc(shopping_date,'MM') which is ignored due to low selectivity I
presume.

> > So, my question is, given the fact that the query is expected to select
> > around 50 rows from a table containing some 10.000 rows, is the index
range
> > scan on index number 3 the best I can get?
> >
> > Does it make any sense to define function indexes with functions like
trunc
> > that "flatten" values and therefore reduce selectivity?
> >
> > Of course in my case it does not make sense to keep this function index
as
> > it is not going to be used ever.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Flavio
>
> You want better than a cost of 3 ... why? Don't you have a job to do?
>
> Personally I'd expect that a full table scan wouldn't hurt with such a
> small table.
>
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

Daniel,
I am not concerned about current table's size of course, but this table could easily grow up to 1.000.000 rows or 10.000.000 rows, so I am just making sure my application is scalable. Moreover this query is needed to populate a drop down list, so the user should wait as little as possible to get the output as this is not the only SQL query that is run to build up the page.

Flavio Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 03:43:46 CDT