Re: Query timeout mechanism in ODBC for Oracle

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 10:34:08 +0200

On 4 Oct 2004 01:20:00 -0700, akuppachi_at_hssworld.com (AK) wrote:

>I would appreciate any pointers on how i could achieve this timeout
>mechanism, so that my application could do some error processing when
>database latency goes beyond some threshold value.

The mechanism you seem to going to implement, is a perfect means to abort long-running, non-tuned queries. I'm not sure what 'database latency' is, usually when the database doesn't seem to respond, it is just too busy processing your monster query. Look into the CREATE PROFILE command to set up limits with respect to CPU and I/O on the database side, but better still tune your queries. It seems you are symptom fighting and starting from the wrong end.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA