Re: What is the size of arc files

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:42:24 +1000

U C wrote:

> Hi All,
> I would like to know few things from about different log files:
>
> 1) What is the size of arc file. When it creates new files and what is
> the maximum size that it can have.

Do you mean an archived redo log?

The maximum size of an archived redo log is whatever your online redo logs are sized at, since one is simply a copy of the other.

> 2) What is the size of trc files. When it creates new files and what
> is the maximum size that it can have.

User trace files have a configurable maximum size. The init.ora parameter that sets the maximum is MAX_DUMP_FILE_SIZE.

> 3) What is the size of core folder and how many files can be in each
> core folder and of what size.

How long is a piece of string?

Come on... this is an operating system question

> 4) If i am having nearly 250000 transaction a day then what will be
> size of my arch, core and trc.

There is no correlation, and hence no even vaguely sensible answer. You size your online redo logs to obtain a rate of log switching that is acceptable. That could be once every half hour or so. It could be longer. It could even be shorter... but once each 30 minutes is quite common. With those logs sized, your archives are now sized accordingly.

Trace files are only (should only be) produced when users need to have their sessions traced. So you would do that for diagnostic reasons on an as-needed basis. The number of transactions you are doing a day really has no bearing on that decision.

Core dumps should not be happening on a regular basis, so that's got nothing to do with it either.

What's your real question here? And have you visited http://tahiti.oracle.com and obtained -and READ- the concepts guide?

Regards
HJR