Re: My DBA says this can't be done!

From: Mike <none_at_nospan.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:48:14 GMT

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:22:28 -0400, Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:03:18 +0000, Mike wrote:
>
>> The DBA says all the inconsistent spaces are causing problems and that
>> any function he writes can't handle more then one TimesInWeek field
>> (e.g. can't handle 00000300 04001000) .
>
>This is your second post about "your DBA". Why isn't "your DBA" on this
>group and what are you trying to do? Are you trying to micro-manage "your
>DBA" or trying to take his place? As a DBA, I don't see any compelling
>reason to help you with that. If you don't trust "your DBA", get another
>one, which will make you more inclined to trust him or her. This is the
>first soap opera with an oracle DBA playing the lead role that I've ever
>seen. Have you considered getting Susan Lucci or Heather Locklear?

This was my first post to the board and I was just asking a question. I sent my DBA a set of requirments and he said it could not be done. It just seemed to me that Oracle 9.2 was more powerful then that. But I asked the question because I am ignorant to what Oracle can and can't do. I am on the application developer side and the code to solve this would be trivial in C, Java, VB etc. I could write this function in the program that calls this database but it would be very inefficient to call it for each of the rows I will be bringing in. Received on Sun Oct 03 2004 - 19:48:14 CDT