Re: How to install oracle on UNIX

From: Keg <rhugga_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Oct 2004 14:51:10 -0700

Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:<b5m7d.8750$223.380_at_edtnps89>...
> y wrote:
>
> > Can someone please tell me how to install Oracle 9 on Solaris?I need as
> > much info as you possible can tell. Thanks in loads.
>
> There's a significant amount of information in this:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.to_toc?pathname=..%2F..%2Fhtml%2FA96167_01%2Ftoc.htm&remark=docindex

Man, Solaris is the easy platform. (well excluding windoze)

First create and oracle user & home dir: I always put oracle home directory under /u01:

mkdir -p /u01/app/oracle
groupadd dba
useradd -g dba -d /u01/app/oracle/home -s /bin/bash -c "Oracle User" oracle
chown -R oracle:dba /u01

Then set your ENV variables:
(put this in ~oracle/.profile or ~oracle/.bashrc, whichever you prefer. I use bash for the oracle user)

export ORACLE_BASE=/u01/app/oracle
export ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/product/<version> export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:$PATH export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib:/opt/SUNWspro/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH export NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 export ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data # might be different for 10g, can't recall from memory)

Note: This example assumes you are using the Sun compilers, but you can use gcc instead. Just make sure /usr/ccs/bin and the path too gcc are relatively early in your PATH. (gcc is normally /usr/local/bin, but some packages might put it elsewhere) Also avoid having /usr/ucb/xxx in your path, it is the older BSD style utils and can cause problems. If you must use them, have that be the very last thing in you PATH.

There are some other vars but not really needed. If your gonna create a database you might as well define your SID now as well, although not needed for the install:

export ORACLE_SID=<sid name>
export EDITOR=/bin/vi
export VISUAL=/bin/vi
export ORATERM=xterm
export PAGER=/bin/less
export LESS=-MM

Also good idea to set some stty prefs in your ~oracle/[.profile|.bashrc];

stty erase '^H' susp '^Z' intr '^C'

This will allow backspace to function as delete in sqlplus. (might not be your desired behavior) It also allows CTRL-Z to interrupt processes and CTRL-C to stop procsses.

Become oracle user and verify env is correct:

su - oracle
env | grep ORA

I also usually put the install source media in /u01/app/oracle/install and patches in /u01/app/oracle/patch. So assuming you did this, make sure you have a valid display defined:

env | grep DISP

If you are on a machine with a console:

export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

Then cd /u01/app/oracle/install/Disk1/ && ./runInstaller

If you get any problems after following these steps then something is likely wrong with your environment.

You will need to make some changes to the memory parameters in /etc/system but these aren't needed prior to an install. There is also a silent method of installing so you don't need an X terminal, take a look at the files in the Disk1/reponse directory. It is much more intuitive with 10g than it has been with the past versions. I prefer the silent install method because Oracle's OUI is so painfully slow over WAN connections for some reason.

You will need to run $ORACLE_HOME/root.sh when you are prompted. (this must be done as the root user)

Anyway, this is a rough howto, but if you search google you will find some very well dont HOWTO's. Search for keywords "oracle install solaris 10g" I might have left something small out, but this should at least get the binaries installed.

Also I recommend not creating a database at first. Get the install done, check the install log for errors, patch if needed, etc... If your installing 9i, you likely want to immediately patch to at least 9.2.0.4, which requires an OUI patch before hand. However, patch 9.2.0.5 is out, but I don't think Oracle is recomending that patch unless it addresses a specific bug you might be experiencing. ( I might be wrong on that) I briefly read the readme for that patch and I do remember some things catching my eye and ultimately we decided we did not want to install the patch. (we have a pending 10g upgrade so were just gonna ride 9.2.0.4 until then)

-Chuck Received on Sat Oct 02 2004 - 16:51:10 CDT