Re: How to perform a health check?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 09:13:52 -0700

Noons wrote:

> Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:<Muk7d.7473$223.6928_at_edtnps89>...
>

>>>For years I've complained bitterly there are
>>>no standards anywhere to define what a dba job is
>>>and how to make sure one gets the right people
>>>for it.
>>
>>a) For the standard ... what's wrong with the definition of DBA that Oracle
>>provides?  It's been part of the DBA guide since Version 5 (or earlier).

> What's wrong?
>
> 1- It's Oracle's definition. I want an industry standard.
> If I wanted another "defacto standard", I'd stay with
> M$ and not bother about Oracle.
> 2- It is the job description of a production dba. That has
> never been enough.
> 3- It seems to imply that anything that is "technical" should
> be left to Oracle support. Sure...

Here's one thing I would want to see in a definition of an Oracle DBA's job.

  1. Will review the alert log every morning and log any warning messages.

I have yet to find the DBA that does that. Which is not to say that some aren't doing it ... but I just have yet to have the pleasure of working with them.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington