Oracle 10g RAC Question

From: Keg <rhugga_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Oct 2004 06:32:39 -0700

We are wanting to move from a large Sparc III based Sun box to 2 or more smaller AMD64 based systems using Oracle 10g RAC. (We currently

run 9.2.0.4 w/o RAC) I know Solaris x86 64-bit is unreleased and also
Oracle 10.x on Solaris x86 as well, but they should be within the next
12 months.

I am the systems engineer and my DBA skills have not been Sr. level since the 8.x days.

I just had a few 10g RAC questions. I am due for 10g trainig but I have some budget deadlines before then and I need to get a rough idea of hardware/software and support costs now.

  1. Is 10g RAC basically the parrallel server of old? Thus I am assuming that all disk devices must be seen by all nodes in the cluster and also must be using raw disk devices for storage? (or even better, for example: Can node1 see disk group X, and node2 see disk group X & Y, and then node 3 see disk group Y & Z. Can 10g RAC function in that type of config? My purpose would be to segregate the different applications so that they use specific nodes in our RAC, and thus an SGA tuned for that application)
  2. Does 10g give me the capability to bring nodes down 1 at a time for maintenance and keep the database online 24x7?
  3. How does archive logging work, is there a 'master' node that will do the archiving or does each machine do archiving? (or can each machine do archiving for redundanacy purposes or will each machine generate it's own redo?)
  4. Does Veritas's Storage Foundation for Oracle manage raw disk devices? (the current version of DBE 3.5 we are using cannot import the same disk group to more than 1 machine at a time, so I am assuming I can't use DBE for Oracle RAC, correct?)
  5. Lastly, we are mainly wanting to move to RAC because our bottlenecks are in the SGA, and we have tuned to a point where tuning can't get anything more for us. We can throw more hardware at the system but won't be gaining much besides inflating hardware/software/support costs. Our SAN is so fast and our tablespaces are laid on onto so many dedicated volumes that we have moved the bottleneck into the SGA itself. We have a myriad of different applications and a myriad of different user usages so tuning the SGA was a long and tedious process, and we feel our only viable avenue for performance enhancement is Oracle RAC. (not to mention I can reduce TCO by a significant amount going to the AMD64 platform) So, am I correct in assumming that each node will have it's own SGA and thus can tune each one differently than the other?
  6. With Oracle RAC, is there a way to route certain transactions to certain nodes, (ie: Somehow cause application A to be handled by node 1, whereas application B might be handled by node 2, BUT, in the event of a node failure, 1 node can handle all applications) There would obviously be a huge performance hit in the event of a node failure but at least operations will continue.

Thanks for any info,
chuck Received on Fri Oct 01 2004 - 08:32:39 CDT