Re: Implementing complicated constraints

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:14:09 +0200

Noons wrote:
[...]

> Too much trouble. The instead of trigger with a view is perfect
> for this.
>
> I like Tom Kite's idea of a FBI, as proposed by HB. But I'm not
> sure it won't introduce other problems. IIRC, Tom introduced
> that technique at a time when instead of triggers were not yet
> available. He probably would have used the triggers nowadays.

I'm not sure if the FBI solution introduces other problems, but that's a different question.

However I'm sure instead of trigger where available in 8.0, whereas FBI was introduced in 8i. So I'm not sure about the conclusion that Tom wouldn't use this nowadays. What do we say in cases like this? It depends....

Cheers, Holger Received on Fri Oct 01 2004 - 02:14:09 CDT