Re: Oracle Automated DB Restore

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 03:40:56 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

>> Not having been there, I wonder whether Mark was slicing the difference
>> between Recovery and Restore?
>>
>> Restoring missing or corrupt files could be relatively simple.

> Well, maybe... But maybe not. I might prefer to drop my index
> tablespace and rebuild all of them rather than recover them. Which
> would mean knowing NOT to restore index01.dbf... Only I or an
> implausibly fiendish and clever bit of coding on Oracle's part can
> make that call, I would have thought.

No doubt.

But the simplistic approach would likely be 'bring it back from the backup'. And in this day and age, simplistic seems to please those who have learned to point 'n click to oblivion. After all, why troubleshoot when you can reboot? (http://www.google.com/search?q=air+traffic+shutdown)

>>However recovering database, in all the scenarios possible, is not easy.
>>
>> Then again, I wonder ... with flashback database ???

> You still have to mind-read your way to knowing what point to
> flashback to.

Recover to current and then flashback manually, if desired? Advantage - it's recovered and ready to flashback by the time you get back from lunch.

> Whether Oracle is actually capable of automating anything in this
> subject area or not is really not the issue, however. The real issue
> is: if it can, it probably shouldn't!!

No argument there.

/Hans Received on Thu Sep 30 2004 - 22:40:56 CDT