Response: Oracle views clarification

From: David Fitzjarrell <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 30 Sep 2004 19:56:05 -0700

"Teresa" <tpreto7_at_sapo.pt> wrote in message news:6dabc692.0409301805.2e1f407a_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi
>
> Can someone please explain the difference is between an Oracle dynamic
> view & materialized view.
>
> Thank you
> Teresa

As found in the documentation at
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c01_02intro.htm#49627  :

"A materialized view provides indirect access to table data by storing the results of a query in a separate schema object. Unlike an ordinary view, which does not take up any storage space or contain any data, a materialized view contains the rows resulting from a query against one or more base tables or views. A materialized view can be stored in the same database as its base tables or in a different database."

I would suggest you bookmark tahiti.oracle.com (the base address for Oracle online documentation) and use it frequently. I should imagine most of the questions you'll have at this point will be answered there.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Sep 30 2004 - 21:56:05 CDT