Re: Oracle Automated DB Restore

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:55:38 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl> wrote in message

>> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 08:47:06 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers"
>> <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:
>>
>> >It requires that you do some typing, however, because (as I hope the
>> >ironic description at the start of my reply suggests) the idea of
>> >automatically doing anything on the restore/recovery side of the
>> >equation is very, very dodgy.
>>
>> Yet Oracle 10g, according to Mark Townsend at Oracle OpenWorld, *does*
>> include automatic backup *and* automatic restoration.

> Automatic backup, as I think I mentioned, is a very different
> proposition. The files to be backed up are well-defined, and in a
> known location, and it presents no great technical difficulty at all.
>
> But automatic recovery is not on. There are some recovery scenarios
> where a degree of automation would not be beyond the wit of Man or,
> indeed, of Oracle Corporation. Media failures in an ASM setup, for
> example, is probably do-able as an auto-detect and auto-fix issue,
> largely because again you know precisely what storage components are
> missing and where it can be restored to (somewhere else in the ASM
> storage pool). But as a general proposition, 10g can't do automated
> recoveries, and I'm pretty sure that Mark wouldn't have said that it
> did... because until Oracle invents dbms_mindreading, I can't see how
> on Earth you could automate something like the need for an incomplete
> recovery.
>
> "Would that be 'until time 9:55:37' or 'until time 9:56:23', Sir?"
>
> It is possible we are talking about different degrees of automation,
> however.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Not having been there, I wonder whether Mark was slicing the difference between Recovery and Restore?

Restoring missing or corrupt files could be relatively simple. However recovering database, in all the scenarios possible, is not easy.

Then again, I wonder ... with flashback database ???

/Hans Received on Thu Sep 30 2004 - 17:55:38 CDT