Re: Oracle Automated DB Restore

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: 30 Sep 2004 15:44:37 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl> wrote in message news:<4jjcl0d4uk4847ub3c6vnjt676tu3ju276_at_4ax.com>...
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 08:47:06 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:
>
> >It requires that you do some typing, however, because (as I hope the ironic
> >description at the start of my reply suggests) the idea of automatically
> >doing anything on the restore/recovery side of the equation is very, very
> >dodgy.
>
> Yet Oracle 10g, according to Mark Townsend at Oracle OpenWorld, *does*
> include automatic backup *and* automatic restoration.

Automatic backup, as I think I mentioned, is a very different proposition. The files to be backed up are well-defined, and in a known location, and it presents no great technical difficulty at all.

But automatic recovery is not on. There are some recovery scenarios where a degree of automation would not be beyond the wit of Man or, indeed, of Oracle Corporation. Media failures in an ASM setup, for example, is probably do-able as an auto-detect and auto-fix issue, largely because again you know precisely what storage components are missing and where it can be restored to (somewhere else in the ASM storage pool). But as a general proposition, 10g can't do automated recoveries, and I'm pretty sure that Mark wouldn't have said that it did... because until Oracle invents dbms_mindreading, I can't see how on Earth you could automate something like the need for an incomplete recovery.

"Would that be 'until time 9:55:37' or 'until time 9:56:23', Sir?"

It is possible we are talking about different degrees of automation, however.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Sep 30 2004 - 17:44:37 CDT