Re: pl./sql deployment stragegies?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 30 Sep 2004 14:21:06 -0500

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, blum_at_marcblum.de wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:47:24 -0400, "Mark C. Stock"
> <mcstockX_at_Xenquery .com> wrote:

>>are any of you aware of any VCS products that manage check-in
>>check-out at the database level so that once checked out,
>>nobody can overwrite the object unless connected and verified
>>as the developer that checked it out? i.e., true
>>clobber-protection enforced at the database level, not just at
>>the tool level?

> If any developer has checked out the source code of any
> database object, edited it and put in into the database, how
> come, that another developer has the same source code and
> changes the object?
>
> You seem to have serious flaws in your development process.

If you use CVS, this is not a valid criticism.

> 1) version control rules! you gotta have one and only one place
> to manage the current version of any object. There are plenty
> of tools on the market providing this.
>
> 2) version control rules
>
> 3) version control rules
>
> I don't give a damn about the state of any object in any
> development database. I always tell my developers: "You gotta
> act, as if all the dev databases were gone tomorrow morning and
> replaced by some *fresh* production clones."

Thats why a schema per developer is so good, but yes, I totally agree.

> In fact, this is one goal I try to achieve in any project,
> although resistance by sloopy developers is big.

With a schema per developer and database build task, they can't resist. Part of their job is making sure the database build compiles without fail, from start to finish.

--
Galen Boyer