Re: pl./sql deployment stragegies?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:47:24 -0400

"Galen Boyer" <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:uoejosqmk.fsf_at_standardandpoors.com...
| On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, mcstockX_at_Xenquery .com wrote:
| >
| > "Terry Dykstra" <tddykstra_at_forestoil.ca> wrote in message
| >| PLSQL Developer also supports Source Control.
| >|
| >| --
| >| Terry Dykstra
| >| Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
| >|
| >|
| >| "Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
| >| wrote in message

| >| handling
| > centralized

| > poses

| >|
| >|

| > my key interest is deploying from/to and synchronizing master,
| > developer, test, and production schemas
| >
| > i'm looking for feedback on how many developer schemas (one per
| > developer or shared?), how do you keep schemas in sync (objects
| > and tables), how do you support unit testing and integration
| > testing

| We have an instance per developer, and at any point, the database
| code can be checked out and created by typing a command.
|

| This strategy is used to deploy to the more controlled
| environments, but this time from particular tagged versions of
| the sourcebase.
|

| > ie, developer is working on a revision for package022 which
| > depends on 5 other packages, and 12 tables, and is called via
| > package037 -- typically, are people duplicating the entire
| > application schema for each developer, sharing one development
| > schema, or using some other means?
|

| I also like the suite of schemas per developer. The main point
| is isolation for accuracy.
|

| --
| Galen Boyer

thanks galen, et al...

multiple instances, each with a suite of schemas sounds ideal -- anybody got any feedback on how they handle multiple developers on a PL/SQL project where it is not possible (politically or otherwise) for each developer to have their own instance?

also, in playing around with TOAD built-in Team Coding, it appears to just work via TOAD (it did not prevent me from overwriting the test function via SQL*Plus, and when i checked in the function in TOAD, the SQL*Plus version persisted) -- is SQL Navigator's implementation essential the same?

are any of you aware of any VCS products that manage check-in check-out at the database level so that once checked out, nobody can overwrite the object unless connected and verified as the developer that checked it out? i.e., true clobber-protection enforced at the database level, not just at the tool level?

++ mcs Received on Thu Sep 30 2004 - 08:47:24 CDT