Re: How to perform a health check?

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:09:48 GMT

Stimi wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> In order to maintain an oracle database in an optimal condition, good
> maintenance is a necessity.
>
> Can anyone show me how to carry out a good health check of an oracle 8i
> database?
>
> Thanks in advance.

  1. Install a separate database, preferrably on a separate 'DBAs-only' machine, using Oracle9i and install the Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) and Oracle Management Server.

Do NOT use the Oracle8i for this!!!! Oracle9i OEM can handle 8i. Use this to monitor ALL the Oracle instances and databases.

2) Read the online documentation (http://docs.oracle.com), in the following order

Make the "Database Performance Tuning Guide and Reference" a priority and get into StatsPack.

6) RUN FROM ANY MATERIAL OR TOOL PROPOSING 'RATIO-BASED' HEALTH CHECKS OR TUNING. Much of that material was originated in the Oracle6 and Oracle7 days and, while some of it may be relevant, much is based on the old technology. Unfortunately many of the 'ratio' proponents have left myths sprinkled in their material and have plowed forward without realizing they are propogating those myths - and consequently introducing new problems.

The problem here is not so much that 'ratio = bad' as 'ratio = old and you can therefore no longer trust the relevance'.

/Hans Received on Thu Sep 30 2004 - 07:09:48 CDT