Re: installing multiple databases on one host

From: Remigiusz Boguszewicz <zebra640_at_poczta.onet.pl>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:04:08 +0200

> My vote's for 1. Less admin overhead -> easy life -> good idea(tm) If
> your hardware fails, then you'll have them all out of commission anyway.
>
> And that's for a *nix or M$ solution,too.
>
> Steve

Hi Steve,

thanks for a comment.
That is for *nix. With a lot of RAM and hdd space. I am already experimenting with scenario 3. Other Pros I have noticed:
+ I can temporary disable selected database from outside world by removing tnsnames.ora, which is impossible with scenario 1. + More and more I like the idea of many users, with man .profile files

Cons:
- I still do not know if I need a common dba group. At first I have tried with different one but to no avail. (I got "ORA-01031: insufficient privileges" after sqlplus "/ as sysdba")

Greetings
Remigiusz Boguszewicz Received on Thu Sep 30 2004 - 07:04:08 CDT