Re: DBMS_JOB - changing default grant

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 30 Sep 2004 00:48:35 -0700

Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<415ABD0A.A09_at_yahoo.com>...
> Anything that a user could do with dbms_job they could do directly so I
> don't see what the issue is.

That's indeed true. However, I have two problems with this approach:

  1. I believe that jobs planning should be centralized. I need to plan whole day processing, backups, outages windows etc. and I want to be able to change the timing of everything so I'll be running it as smooth as possible. That means I want to have plan of all jobs schedules on the paper as the part of operating documentation. Because of this I need to know all jobs and I can't know it if anyone with the access to my database can create new jobs as he wants.
  2. All database processing including jobs is watched by ITO agents and all errors are reported to the company's supervisory center and appropriate people are immediately contacted (24x7) in the case of any serious trouble. I really do not want to be waken up in the middle of the night because of "ORA-12012: error on auto execute of job xy" because of some jackass that do not know how to create a database job properly. On the other hand I must be waken up when some of the IMPORTANT nightly jobs fails.

P.S. I forgot to include version, it is 9.2.0.5. Sorry for that.

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.