Re: Do all ODBC drivers for Oracle need to work on top of OCI??

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 05:23:31 GMT

"Nagendra" <nagendra.swamy_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1880e162.0409292113.316f7b57_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
>
> To access the Oracle DataBase through Easysoft or DataDirect Oracle
> ODBC drivers(for solaris),is it required to have OCI installed on that
> machine? What i am asking is, whether we need to have an OCI license
> in addition to an EasySoft (or Datadirect license) as well, in order
> to access the Oracle backend? More generally, do all ODBC drivers work
> on top of the OCI itself? Or can they interact directly with the
> backend?
> My platform is Solaris (Sun Sparc) and Linux (RedHat on Intel)
>
> TIA,
> Nagendra.

Yes, unless the manufacture concocts their own middle ware. Oracle doesn't provide another mechanism. I am confused though why do you think you need to license OCI? You have to license the database, but I don't think you have to license the client binaries.
Jim Received on Thu Sep 30 2004 - 00:23:31 CDT