Re: Oracle 10g questions?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:56:31 -0700

Comments in-line.

Keg wrote:

> We are considering migrating to Oracle 10g in the next 12 months and I
> had a few questions. (I am the system engineer so not a full fledged
> Sr. Oracle DBA)
>
> First, is Oracle 10g similiar to the Oracle Parallel Server of old?

Only related by having the same parent. The children are very different.

> ie: Is it basically 2 or more systems that are using the same physical
> disks? If so, is using raw devices still a requirement or are there
> any other filesystem based solutions that will work. (ie: Oracle or
> Veritas?)

RAW is not required and probably of zero value. What you want is a cluster file system such as that provided by NetApp.

> We currently are running 9.2.0.4 on Solaris 9 64-bit using Veritas
> Database Edition for Oracle 3.5. (Which I am assuming the Veritas
> software would be useless for a 10g installation correct?)

Not useless ... just unnecessary.

  Our desire
> is to segregate our Oracle workload accross 2 or more systems. We
> would also like to be able to perform system maintenance while keeping
> the database online 24x7. Is this possible with 10g by keeping at
> least 1 node online while others are brought down for maintenance?

Depends on what you mean by maintenance. Remember you are bringing down the instance ... not the database.

You might want to contact the Puget Sound Oracle Users Group (http://www.psoug.org) if you are in the US or Canada.

> Lastly, we also plan to move from our current Sun Sparc III based
> systems to Solaris x86 on some of the new AMD based Opeteron 64-bit
> systems. (I am assuming for the purpose of budgeting that all related
> software components support 64-bit Solaris x86 at this time) I know
> 64-bit x86 still has not been released so likely Oracle doesn't
> support it yet. (but they are usually quick to follow)

An H/P DL360 will smoke a Sun Sparc III. And AMD chip or IBM P5 will do even better. The difference is that the DL360 will cost only a small fraction of the others.

> I'm curious if there is anyone here with similiar plans as well. It
> would be great to share experiences and notes. This is a pretty big
> undertaking and probably a bit risky to go with such cutting edge
> hardware but the cost savings would be enormous compared to our
> current Sun/Oracle/Veritas hardware/support/software costs. (and I'm
> hoping to cut Veritas completely out of the picture as well)
>
> Thanks for any info,
> Chuck

Currently running 10g in production at a division of the Boeing Company. Would be happy to discuss it with you off-line.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington