Re: lacing redo logs on Raw Devices instea dof cooked File Systes,

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 29 Sep 2004 18:42:42 -0700

premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com (Prem K Mehrotra) wrote in message news:<43441e77.0409290549.1318fb84_at_posting.google.com>...

> We alreayd us evxfs file system. I woouldthink raw is better than
> vxfs? Appreciate your answer.

I've just been to a presentation from Veritas on their latest stuff. The last version (4) of their s/w has a thing called ODM (no, it is not an abbreviation for the Oracle product of the same name). With this and vxfs, you can effectively realise better performance than raw. Demonstrably. And it installs like a DLL: you create a link in a directory, move your files, restart the database, rename the file locations, open the instance and bingo: all is working. Transparently, Oracle will use the ODM I/O mechanism instead of its own. Or so the theory goes: you might have to adjust versions and releases here and there to get it all working. Maybe worth a chat with your local friendly Veritas rep or support person? They will know all the details.

If they don't, get hold of Danny Dunn from Veritas (drop me a line if you can't) and he'll be only too happy to chat with you. You can also likely get some info from:
www.veritas.com/us/partners/oem/oracle/oscp.html That's Danny's pet project.

HTH PS:
Pretty slick stuff, and I don't impress easily in my old age... Well done, Veritas! Received on Wed Sep 29 2004 - 20:42:42 CDT