Re: Oracle 10g questions?

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:16:43 GMT

Keg wrote:

> We are considering migrating to Oracle 10g in the next 12 months and I
> had a few questions. (I am the system engineer so not a full fledged
> Sr. Oracle DBA)
>
> First, is Oracle 10g similiar to the Oracle Parallel Server of old?
> ie: Is it basically 2 or more systems that are using the same physical
> disks? If so, is using raw devices still a requirement or are there
> any other filesystem based solutions that will work. (ie: Oracle or
> Veritas?)

Oracle9i and Oracle dB 10g have an option called RAC. That is similar to the Parallel Server of old. Other than that, the old Oracle9i rules for disk 'design' hold - made much easier in some ways, especially if you have SAN.

Go to http://otn.oracle.com ... at the bottom, under products, is a link to 'Database' information. There you can see a link to 'Real Applcation Cluster' which leads you to some good white papers. There is a certain amount of rolling upgrade-ishness being introduced, but the are conditions.

> I am due to take some 10g trainnig but I had some budgetary deadlines
> I needed to meet this week and was trying to get a ballpark idea of
> hardware/software costs as well as support.

If you can restrict yourself to 4 CPUs across 1-4 servers (eg: 1x4, 2x2 or 4x1) you might be able to use RAC that is included in the license of Oracle Standard Edition .... saves a lot of $

/Hans Received on Wed Sep 29 2004 - 19:16:43 CDT