Re: Oracle9iAS and Oracle9i Db

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:09:54 GMT

Alan wrote:

> I've installed Oracle9i DB on Solaris8 ok and it looks like it's
> working.
> I'm now installing Oracle9iAS but I'm unsure if I should be installing
> Oracle9iAS onto of the $ORACLE_HOME area for Oracle9iDB (same unix
> login and groups) or whether I should be keeping them seperate.
>
> I'm also not sure if Oracle9iAS comes with a database and Oracle9i DB
> installation or whether it relies on my previous Oracle9i install.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me?
>
> Thanks
> Alan

Oracle9iAS has two separate groups of components ...

  1. Infrastructure - used to handle the following
    • J2EE metadata for App Server clusters
    • Single Sign-on metadata
    • Oracle Internet Directory (LDAP) data
    • Portal metadata (not end-user data)
  2. Application Server
    • usually considered one or more J2EE servers potentially clustered
    • a set of ORacle apps and utilities
      • Report Writer, Forms, Portal, etc.
    • generally needs access to data

Last time I checked, Oracle includes a database runtime-only license for Infrastructure purposes. Add any schemas and it's no longer runtime.

So your data comes from a database you license. Oracle's data needed to make App Server run is in the database t includes.

That's a best guess .... only Oracle can have the final (legal) say on this.

/Hans Received on Wed Sep 29 2004 - 19:09:54 CDT