Re: Oracle9i installation - Oracle Net Services problems

From: Rick Wessman <Rick.WessmanNO_SPAM_at_NoOrSaPcAlMe.com>
Date: 29 Sep 2004 09:32:46 -0700

In article <9g_5d.122054$KU5.69196_at_edtnps89>, Hans Forbrich says...

>Alan wrote:
>
>> Wise words - and I think this was the problem. I was using my unix
>> root login to access sqlplus instead of my oracle (orac9i) login in
>> unix.
>
>Glad it helped.
>
>Used to be a time when, in many origanizations, unix SAs would get a
>reprimand for any use of root unless they could justify it in writing. You
>have no idea how much grief Oracle used to get from the security-minded
>unix community about the use of root. The result is they went
>significantly 'tother direction.
>
>/Hans

That's for sure. In order to get our first security evaluation at C2, the evaluators required that the majority of the installation be run as the Oracle user, not as root.

To fulfill that requirement, I created root.sh. Now you know who to blame. :-)

                               Rick

--
                                Rick Wessman
                                Oracle Corporation