lacing redo logs on Raw Devices instea dof cooked File Systes,

From: Prem K Mehrotra <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Sep 2004 08:12:57 -0700

I will be upgrading a database from Oracle8i to Oracle9i on HP UNIX. Application tuning has already been done within the constraints that it is an application bought from another company. It is single instance database (i.e., no RAC). We will also be recreating Oracle9i database and doing export/import from old to new and then applying application level schema changes.

Our application/database is clearly disk bound. We are using SAN. All our file systems are cooked.

I have read discussions on raw vs cooked on Oracle web sites as well as in this forum. I am looking into moving only redo logs from cooked file system to raw devices. Every time, I read about raw it clearly bypasses UNIX buffer so should have some performance improvements. We have 3 redo logs of 10K size. On the average every 3 minute a redo log switch is made.

I would think that there will be some performance improvement in gong to raw devices. Since our database configuration for redo logs is fixed (i.e., we do not expect to increase size of redo logs or number of redo logs), once we set raw devices for redo logs, we are done. Even if I get 5 to 10 performance improvement, I will prefer to use raw devices.

Does any one see any problem in using raw devices for redo logs only?

Thanks a lot,

Prem Received on Tue Sep 28 2004 - 10:12:57 CDT