Re: TNS Listener dies sporadically

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:59:58 GMT

Walt wrote:

> We upgraded to W2K3, Oracle 9.2 last January (a new instance on new
> hardware). Since then the database has gone down about six or sever
> times. The symptom is that the TNSListener will not accept new
> connections; users who are already connected are able to continue their
> sessions but no new connections can be made.
>
> If we simply restart the TNSListener it will work for about an hour or
> so before dying again. If we reboot the OS everything wakes up happy.
> We have not tried just restarting the Oracle services without a reboot.
>
> The outages are aperiodic - we've gone for three months without a
> problem, and once two outages occurred within three days of one another.
>
> I've looked through the Event Log (Windows Event Viewer) and the bdump
> file, but I don't see anything that points to a source of the problem.
> Anybody seen this behavior before? Can you suggest a plan of attack?
>
> Thanks.

Two other logs to look at - the database's Alert.log and the listener's Listener.log - might contain additional information. For both you can also set additional 'recording/trace levels' if the files do not give you sufficient information, but then you really want to monitor the log sizes! Received on Mon Sep 27 2004 - 10:59:58 CDT