TNS Listener dies sporadically

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:55:01 -0400

We upgraded to W2K3, Oracle 9.2 last January (a new instance on new hardware). Since then the database has gone down about six or sever times. The symptom is that the TNSListener will not accept new connections; users who are already connected are able to continue their sessions but no new connections can be made.

If we simply restart the TNSListener it will work for about an hour or so before dying again. If we reboot the OS everything wakes up happy. We have not tried just restarting the Oracle services without a reboot.

The outages are aperiodic - we've gone for three months without a problem, and once two outages occurred within three days of one another.

I've looked through the Event Log (Windows Event Viewer) and the bdump file, but I don't see anything that points to a source of the problem. Anybody seen this behavior before? Can you suggest a plan of attack?

Thanks.

--
//-Walt