Re: update/select statement tuning help

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:34:42 GMT

Alan wrote:

> You make DEsupported sound like UNsupported. Sometimes it's just not
> possible to keep up with the very latest versions. Sometimes what you have
> works perfectly. We just finished upgrading to 8i from 7.3.4, and guess
> what- we are still alive and working just fine. Do you buy a new car on
> every model change just because the manufacturer says you really need a
> new one, and they are not making any improvements to the current model?
> Sure, eventually you need a new one- but that's when YOU decide you need
> one- and,
> more importantly, can afford one.

One minor glitch in the analogy:

Now let's say you use that car for business. If that translates to "it's in for repairs ... no car, no income", your urgency to update to a newer model might be somewhat greater.

And then there's the "I can support it myself" argument, which involves a business crisis "what do I do ... earn money or fix the car?".

Apparently your organization has an interesting business model ... let's get a newer 2000 model car (8.1.7) to replace the old one, even if the 2002 model (9.2.0) is: the same price; is known to be more fuel efficient; and is less expensive to repair. Interesting!

Not arguing - just providing some alternate thought processes. I've frequently been around businesses that think like yours. (And yes, there are 'valid' reasons for sticking with 8.1.7, like the vendor hasn't upgraded.)

/Hans Received on Mon Sep 27 2004 - 09:34:42 CDT