Re: RAC Oracle Upgrade Question

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:32:09 GMT

Rodrick Brown wrote:

> I know this is probably answered in the Oracle RAC FAQ or something but
> i'm not a DBA just suppot them :)
>
> When you need to upgrade RAC do you have to take the entire cluster
> offline ? Can do you do standby/dataguard between 2 RAC clusters ?
>
> Can you have different versions of Oracle in a RAC cluster ?
>
> Another questions can I have multiple databases ie multiple Oracle
> Homes on the clustered file system all running in a RAC configuration ?
> say 5 versions of Oracle binaries all 5 being clustered against 5
> systems each in their own RAC setup.
>

> Thanks alot.

Some useful info in Oracle's whitepapers, found at http://otn.oracle.com - for your questions, I like the overview at http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/pdf/TWP_RAC_Overview_10gR1_112503.pdf

However, these questions should go to Oracle's sales consultants. There are a lot of incremental improvements in newer versions and the version that you start with as baseline can cause dramatic shifts in the answers.

Consider that in RAC, all instances in a cluster interact with the same database (and therefore database files). I would expect consistency in file structure, and likely the SYS schema, to be a precondition of running in a cluster. That in itself could raise issues and limitations as to the acceptable differences in binary versions. Received on Sun Sep 26 2004 - 16:32:09 CDT