Re: 4 Node RAC Cluster GigE vs Infiniband

From: Steffen Roegner <sroegner_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:59:16 +0200

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Rodrick Brown wrote:
>

>> Hello all I've been getting mixed answers on how fast the interconnect
>> should be between the RAC clusters some say 100mb, GigE and
>> infiniband i'm planning on using Oracle 10g for a Geographical
>> information system database, currently I'm planning on using Sun Fire
>> V280R's 2x 1.2Ghz 8GB mem in a 4 way RAC cluster has anyone deployed
>> something similar on GigE and was was the response time like on big
>> queries.
>>
>> I'm planning on using Veritas Cluster File System and have it under
>> ODM if it makes any difference--
>>

> Faster is better so if you have the $ for InfiniBand use them. It is
> quite probable that GigE would be sufficient but without testing
> impossible to predict. Forget anything slower than GigE.
>
> But why spend money on Veritas when it is not required. For far less
> money than the V280s you could pick up some DL360s or equivalent,
> use RedHat EL AS and Oracle's clusterware at no additional charge.
> It would save your organization tens of thousands of dollars and
> give you equal or better performance. And if you wanted better
> performance look at IBM's P5s.

Roderick,

first of all, I'd like to totally agree with Daniel. We have a 4 Node RAC running on Dell 2650s here and we indeed use Red Hat EL 3. The thing runs very stable and I would point your attention away from the interconnect to the shared storage. We saw some driver issues with the fibre channel HBAs (QLogic) in the beginning which were solved in time by Red Hat. So depending on what your application does, you need fast storage and AFTER THAT a fast interconnect link. We are fine with GB ethernet here - there are Waits in the perfstat report for Global Cache CR Requests (especially during batches) but the resulting wait time is low enough compared to disk reads and cpu. We still consider disk performance our biggest problem (besides the application itself of course :-) so I would recommend you to put as much effort as possible on storage design.

This is taken from a snapshot taken during one of our batch jobs:

Top 5 Timed Events

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                                     %
Event                           Waits    Time (s) Ela Time
------------------------ ------------ ----------- --------
db file sequential read       482,314       2,011    43.53
CPU time                                    1,107    23.97
db file scattered read         47,597         867    18.77
db file parallel read           8,271         240     5.19
global cache cr request     1,380,502         184     3.97

If you look at this, using Infiniband or whatever faster solution instead of el-cheapo Dell GB Switches and Broadcom onboard chips would probably lower the latency time lets say by three times - that would then result in an elapsed time of 1.30 instead of 3.90 seconds for the same number of requests.

But well, maybe this is just a foul estimate.

hth

--
... Steffen Roegner