Re: orapswd and REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 08:39:51 +1000

Prem K Mehrotra wrote:

> I am using Oracle 9.2 and am on HP UNIX. Using orapwd command, i can
> specify any
> password file name (in any directory) and it does create the password
> file
> wih the file name I specify. e.g.
> orapwd file=mydir/myfile_name
>
> However, I do not find any parameter in init.ora or an environment
> variable to pick this file name, e.g., when I set
> REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=exclusive
> and start the database, it looks for a file named:
> orapwd$ORACLE_SID in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs
>
> Does anyone know how to force Oracle to pick myfile_name instead of
> default password file name? I have read various Oracle manuals, but
> cannot find such
> information.
>
> Prem

They're called symbolic links, and you'll have to create one. That is, stick your password file wherever you like, and call it what you will, but there must be at least a link called "orapwSID" in $ORACLE_HOME\dbs which points to the real file.

I believe there is also an environment variable you can set, but I only ever found it mentioned once in the Oracle documentation, I can't remember what it is, and symbolic links work perfectly well and without hassle.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Sep 24 2004 - 17:39:51 CDT