update/select statement tuning help

From: DGK <Ganesh.Kamath_at_in.bosch.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:10:24 +0530

The table MyTable contains around 3,000,000 + records. I have the following update statement which takes around 3 hours to execute. Could any body give me some information on how to speed up the process? Oracle version 8.1.7. Sort_area_size = 50MB. PK=fldy, index on fldx is also availble.

UPDATE MyTable t
SET (

t.fld1-1,
t.fld1-2,
t.fld1-3,
t.fld1-4,
t.fld1-5,
t.fld1-6

) =
(SELECT u.fld2-1
u.fld2-2,
u.fld2-3,
u.fld2-4,
u.fld2-5,
u.fld2-6

FROM MyTable u
WHERE t.fldx = u.fldy
);

thanks and regards,
DGK Received on Fri Sep 24 2004 - 23:40:24 CDT