Re: How to convert a database from ZHT16MSWIN950 to UTF8 or AL32UTF8

From: Louis Frolio <froliol_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Sep 2004 07:22:11 -0700

william.h850_at_msa.hinet.net (William) wrote in message news:<544e016e.0409231908.505d6c84_at_posting.google.com>...
> As the tilte, I try to convert the character but failed.
>
> 1. Using the way mentioned in "Doc ID: Note:66320.1 Subject: Changing
> the Database Character Set or the Database National Character Set".
> Since the new charset is not a superset of the old one, it failed.
>
> 2. Using "import & export" , also failed. Got messages
>
> IMP-00019: row rejected due to ORACLE error 1401
> IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1401 encountered
> ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column
>
> 3. The interesting way is to use "convert" function. It worked. Since
> what I need is to convert the whole 10 GB database. It didn't help me
> anything, just prove the "covert" is possible in one row.
>

> Please help me !!
>
> THX,
> William

The task you are undertaking could turn out to be a bear of a chore. I would suggest that you first do a little leg work before you jump in and start converting the data. The first thing you should do for this task is to take a look at your data, the current data set, and the slated data set to determine up front where the conflicts are going to happen. You can then tactically lay out a plan that helps you move to your target character set.
The first place you need to start is with the csscan (character set scanner) utility. If you have not used it before you should read up on it on Metalink. Without knowing the details of the task or the motivation the suggestion I have proposed is the best place to start.

Louis Frolio Received on Fri Sep 24 2004 - 09:22:11 CDT