Veritas NetBackup for Oracle 8.x Database Help

From: Ash <kumarash76_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Sep 2004 07:30:55 -0700

Hello,

I need some help about using Veritas NetBackup 4.x software on Solaris 8.0 platform to backup Oracle 8.0 Database. let me explain the whole picture. Our Production database (I will call this R1)is oracle 8.x running on Sun Solaris 8.0 platform. The diskspace for Oracle database is managed by EMC and the current database size is about 1.5 Terabytes.

We have a Mirrored database (R2, exact replica of R1) connected to another Sun Solaris 8.0 machine and the disk space is managed by EMC. Both R1 - Production Database and R2 - Mirrored Database are connected by SRDF link and will be in sync from time to time.

Now we wanted to implement the Backup on this databases. This is what we are planning. We wanted to take the backup from the mirrored database - R2. To do this, we will use Veritas Netbackup 4.x software in conjuction with Oracle RMAN. Before we start the backup we will disconnected the SRDF link between R1 and R2 and we wanted to get the backup to IBM tape silo's from R2 database via the fibre channels. We are planning to do a initial full COLD backup and after that we want to take incremental (or) differential HOT backup with a duration of once in 3 days.

Once the backup is successful, we will re-connect the SRDF link between R1 and R2 databases so that they will be in sync again.

Also, we wanted to enable the Archive Logs feature on our R1 Database ( which is turned off now), so that it can hold upto 3 days worth of data incase if we need to restore and if we do not have upto date information on our Backup tape ( thats the reason we wanted to take the incremental / differential Hot backup with a time line of once in 3 days, so that if needed,we can recover that 3 days worth of data from the Archive logs in Oracle).

This production database is very critical for us and we wanted to make this backup a good and successful technique to safe guard this database.

I hope I have given enough information about the setup we have. Now I need some help from anyone who are using / used Veritas NetBackup on Oracle 8.x database over Solaris platform. Can any one suggest me which will be a most effective / less time consuming way to do the Hot Backup? Is it an Incremental Hot Backup or a Differential Hot Backup?

Also, if anyone has any kind of scripts / automation process that they developed / used / using, please help me with those.

I'm a kind of newbie for this and any sort of help from anyone is really really appreciated.

Please do help me and let me know any kind of inputs. Received on Thu Sep 23 2004 - 09:30:55 CDT