Re: Getting ORA-12547 using 10g dbca with Suse Linux 9.1 (kernel 2.6.5) - help!

From: Andrew Hardy <junkmail_at_[127.0.0.1>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:58:54 +0100

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> Andrew Hardy <junkmail@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message news:<ciomhg$dan$1_at_sun-cc204.lut.ac.uk>...
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I had Suse 8.2 working happily with Oracle 10g until the disk died (test
>>box only, no backups!).
>>
>>I installed Suse 9.1 and am having problems getting 10g up and running
>>again. I've done the DISABLE_HUGETLBFS workaround for the shared memory
>>segment problem, but cannot create a database using dbca without getting
>> an ORA-12547 'lost contact' error.
>>
>>Is this a Suse 9.1/kernel 2.6.5 problem or something else?
>>
>>Has anyone else got this combination to work?
>

> Yup. I occasionally have problems with getting dbconsole to work, but
> as for actually just creating databases, there are no problems with
> your Suse version or your kernel. Leastways, I have no problems with
> 9.1 and assorted kernels, of which 2.6.5 is one.
>
> Regards
> HJR

It looks like my wrapper for the DISABLE_HUGETLBFS was largely at fault - for some reason when I cat to a file I end up losing the last few characters (in this case the $@)!

So, I'm now getting around 40% of the way through database creation before I fall over with a problem getting or attaching to shared memory. Looks like some memory setting needs addressing, but as my swap is somewhat limited at the moment I'll wait until the new disk drive arrives...

Thanks for your help,

--
Andy - Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of
Advantica Ltd