Oracle Express Server 6.3.0 - Export and Import

From: Vijai Kumar <vijai_kumar_n_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Sep 2004 01:18:00 -0700

Oracle Express Database has a default database size of 2GB. Whenever the database exceeds this size it creates extension files in a default folder created during installation.

For example if the database name is Darwin the extension files will be Test.001, Test.002 and so on.These extension files greatly decrease the performance of the database.In order to increase the performance and to decrease the size of the database, export and import can be done.Oracle Express provides an option to Export database to an EIF(Express Interchange Format) File and then import from the same.

The syntax of the export operation when we do from the command line looks like this export 'd:/test.db' to eif file 'd:/eifs/test.eif'. While doing this the extension files get exported automatically. Now as far as our database is concerned it is around 20 extend files.The same can be retrieved through import command which looks like this import 'd:/new/test.db' from eif file 'd:/eifs/test.eif'

Now a new database namely Test.db will be created in the folder 'd:/new'.

But the Question here is Will the extension file components be imported automatically ? or do we have to issue a separate import command for the extend files also. Received on Wed Sep 22 2004 - 03:18:00 CDT