Re: Moving .dbf file from one moun to other mount

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 22 Sep 2004 00:02:23 -0700

Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de> wrote in message news:<cimorn$4i5$1_at_news.BelWue.DE>...
> We live and learn. I always thought for rename datafile you need
> to mount the database?

... and we do mistakes and have memory problems. You're right indeed. It would be hard to rename datafile in the phase when a database know nothing about them. So the correct sequence is:

  1. shutdown database
  2. copy your file from its current destination to the second one
  3. startup mount
  4. alter database rename file '/oracle/data/file.dbf' to /ora/file.dbf';
  5. alter database open
--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.