Re: Resource Quotta for CPU Usage

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:09:30 -0700

John Wood wrote:

> I am planning to create CPU Resource Quota for an Oracle user mainly running
> reports. In our setup, all the report users will use the same user id to
> logon. I plan to allocate 30% of CPU time to that user.
>
> Does that mean the total CPU time will be 30% even though there will be 3 or
> 4 sessions log on as the same user ? Do I need to allocate the CPU resouce
> to other users so that the total will be 100% ? Can I skip the setup for
> other users ? As I am only concern with the report user running lengthy
> queries at this point.
>
> Thanks.
>
> JW

If you are going to utilize DBMS_RESOURCE_MANAGER to do this the 30% applies to the entire consumer group. That said ... giving a single userid to multiple report writers is a really bad idea: Reconsider it. Within 6 months everyone in the company, and possibly outsiders, will have that userid and password.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington