Re: SYS Schema - Gather Stats or Not??

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:28:53 +0100

On 21 Sep 2004 14:13:16 -0700, cdavis10717_at_comcast.net (Charles) wrote:

>Should the SYS schema have stats gathered for it, or not?
>
>We have found that the 9205 patchset wants them dropped...
>
>So, should we gather them at all?

 Oracle's statement of support of SYS stats in 9i is a bit fuzzy to say the least; haven't got the note number handy, but it's along the lines of "it's supported but could cause deadlocks and unexpected things" - definitely gives the impression it's a bad idea.

 Tried it a few times on small test instances, and typically it made various queries against the data dictionary worse - some to the point of queries that normally took fractions of a second, never returning in a reasonable timeframe (several minutes).

 Stats on everything, including SYS, is pretty much compulsory in 10g though.

--
Andy Hassall / <andy@andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk>
<http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage analysis tool