Re: Insufficient Privileges with '/ as sysdba'

From: David Fitzjarrell <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 21 Sep 2004 06:50:28 -0700

Jeff theorised on 09/21/2004:
> In article <1vfo12-uqb.ln1_at_turf.turgidson.com>, Buck Turgidson <jc_va_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> >In 9i, I used to be able to use '/ as sysdba' on the command line to
> >startup a database. Now in 10g I have to use 'sys/passwd as sysdba'.
> >
> >Did something like os authentication change in 10g? I am using linux.
>
> This might not be true for Linux, so YMMV... but with Windows, besides having
> a dba group and the logged in account being a member of that group, I also had
> to set SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) in the SQLNET.ORA file.

This is true, however on Linux/UNIX it's a function of which O/S group has been delegated administrative rights to Oracle, and, as such, which O/S accounts are assigned that group. Buck is using his own O/S account, which is not assigned to the 'dba' group (or, whatever group he decided to assign admin rights to). That being the case the 'insufficient privileges' error rears its ugly head. All Buck need do is conncect to Linux as 'oracle' (presuming, again, that 'oracle' is the account which installed the software) and all should be well. The installer for UNIX/Linux asks which O/S group will be assigned admin rights within Oracle. Members of this group can connect to the instance as SYS as SYSDBA without a psssword locally. Actually, without a username, either:

/export/home/oracle/ets> sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue Sep 21 13:28:57 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect / as sysdba
Connected.
SQL> Try any user account outside of the declared group and you get what Buck has been seeing:

/export/home/davidf> sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue Sep 21 13:37:18 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect / as sysdba
ERROR:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

SQL> Sasme system, same day, different user account.

I hope this helps.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Sep 21 2004 - 08:50:28 CDT