Re: Insufficient Privileges with '/ as sysdba'

From: David Fitzjarrell <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 21 Sep 2004 06:29:35 -0700

Comments embedded.

adamenos_at_yahoo.com (adamenos) wrote in message news:<4e0e67ef.0409202131.26786dae_at_posting.google.com>...
> I'm just stating what I have experienced in my environment at work
> (which is Windows). Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, too.
>
> Adam

I cannot understand how Windows makes any difference in the advice you gave. I have administered Oracle on Windows for years and I haven't found the 'information' you provided regarding password files to be true.

> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<414ce348$0$20129$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> > adamenos wrote:
> >
> > > Make sure that the dba group is created and that you log into your OS
> > > as a user that belongs to the dba group.
> >
> > It's not the dba group. It's whatever group was declared to have
> > administrative privileges at the time the installation took place. That is
> > *usually* the dba group, but it could be all sorts of other things as well.

Most often on Windows it's the ORA_DBA group which is created.

> > > Or, you may have specified remote_login_passwordfile=EXCLUSIVE in your
> > > init.ora
> >
> > That makes zero difference, actually. That the init.ora says to use a
> > password file would not stop a preliminary check of the O/S groups and
> > memberships.
> >
> > The parameter says "I have this sort of password file" not "Please don't do
> > O/S authentication".
> >
> > > and you now have a corrupt password file. If you have a
> > > corrupt password file then you need to shutdown the database, rebuild
> > > the password file and then restart your database.
> >
> > Re-creating a password file does not require the database to be shut down,
> > for the very simple (and obvious) reason that if it did, how would you
> > connect to the database in order to issue the shutdown command?!
> >
> > Just delete it, and use orapwd to re-create it. No shutdown necessary.
> >
> > All of which is besides the point anyway, because the guy is using O/S
> > authentication, not password file authentication.

Also, when he uses a password he gains access, something that does not indicate a corrupt password file.

> > > When you login as
> > > sysdba you should use the password that you set in your password file.
> >
> > Well, yes... except that as he has demonstrated, he has no problem
> > connecting with a password (indicating that the password file is fine), but
> > that the problem is with his O/S authentication mechanism.
> >

> > > Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Sep 21 2004 - 08:29:35 CDT